To continue from the last post , where I built the octagon volume control, It has now been installed in the droid.

I replaced the hollow mesh aluminium plate with black felt, to get a non-reflective, light absorbing surface behind the octagon port to obscure the insides, and also to not show the plastics holding the potentiometer into place. It did the job perfectly.

Also, as I showed earlier, I had to properly align the volume know in the middle of the cut away portion of the octagon port.


Enter the lovely world of 3D printing. My digital caliper gave me the measurements I needed and 15 minutes later I had a perfect inside bushing for the knob.


I had previously glued the knob in to place with rubber glue so it would be easy to remove. This time, the printed part is just squeezed inside the knob, and the knob is squeezed inside the 3d printed part. No glue needed and a perfect fit!


It even looks centered!