Mini update!

Home/Building/Mini-R2/Mini update!

Mini update!

My original plan was to do a 40% scale version of my R2.

Well .. This plan has changed. The new plan is to make a 50% scale version of R2-D2.

Why the new format, you may ask? –Well, the slightly larger scale makes the details really pop out from the printer.

I can’t print the entire dome in one go, but I might as well split it in several parts. The first proper dome print was splitting the dome in half, and printing it in halves. It came out really well.

IMG_7049

It is quite thin at this point, but once ready, the parts really look good.

IMG_7059

It also means I need to print a complete new set of greeblies for the dome, and of course, the old 40% leg struts and parts done, needs to be remade as well.

IMG_7010 IMG_6995

I just think this is so cute.. 😉

The second dome I made much thicker, and split in 4 parts. The main dome is in thirds, but I also cut off the top to print as one single part as well.

Much sturdier…

ThickerDome2 ThickerDome1

 

However, still fragile..

IMG_7482

Fortunately, this is an easy fix, and once I have acetone coated the insides, it should be sturdy and have no issues at all.

 

 

By | 2016-12-06T00:00:17+00:00 August 24th, 2015|Mini-R2|Comments Off on Mini update!

About the Author:

Building R2-D2 is Stephen Fry proof thanks to caching by WP Super Cache