Monthly Archives: May 2017

Ghostbusters Project: Mounting the pack

Since I received my motherboard, I could start working on attaching the motherboard to the frame, and the shell to the motherboard.

One of the first things I simply had to try, was to fit the speakers on to my laser cut grille, and they matched up perfectly!

Next up was drilling the holes into the Alice Frame, which was a lot harder than I thought, but it worked out fine.

Once the motherboard was attached, I started attaching the L-brackets that holds the shell to the motherboard.

I used very strong magnets to hold them in place while I gently pushed then around with the shell to get where I wanted them, then drilled through and riveted from the back, as per the original packs. When they had been placed, I taped them while I carefully marked the positions for them with a sharpie.

Note that I let the L-bracket underneath the mount point for the thrower lie down, in order to make proper space inside for the metal reinforcements I will put inside.

Of course, not all of them were a perfect match, as I don’t have a proper work bench or drill press. One of them moved around a bit, but with a little filing, it fit just fine.

With the pack clamped down on top of the brackets, I drilled through the shell (going backwards first) with a 3mm drill, then continued in into the L bracket to get the hole at the precise correct place.

Once the guiding hole was done, I drilled upp to 5mm on the brackets..

.. before I hand tapped them to 1/8″.

Tapping is hard work, and with aluminium, it is important to lubricate (I used isopropanol) and go forward a turn, then back half a turn, lubricate, and repeat.

Just look at these lovely blue Pyle speakers. They will make my pack loud!

Once all holes were tapped, I screwed the motherboard in to place..

And had my (bored) fiancée take the obligatory first pictures of me wearing my work in progress:

Let me know what you think. I think it fits well, and looks like it has a good height on me.

One thing that bothers me though, is I think my shell is a bit wonky, turns out that there is a gap…

With a little mild pressure, it closes nicely, however. I’m not sure how to solve this. I think there might be a place on my shell that needs a bit of filing, but I might also make some bracket that this can hook in to from the inside. We’ll see.

I am not too worried, though.

Finally, as a closer, I also received these:

By | 2017-05-24T22:41:28+00:00 May 24th, 2017|Building, Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters Proton Pack|Comments Off on Ghostbusters Project: Mounting the pack

Ghostbusters Project: Like a glove!

I had a friend of mine call up one of his friends, and .. well.. long story short, I received my laser cut motherboard today!

It was a bit unnerving as I had never really seen this fit my Nick-a-tron shell for real, but only printed versions on paper, taped together and done a few test fittings, and you never know if the people receiving the files will open them correctly or scale them differently.

Turns out, it was spot on!

It fits just perfect! Just like it should!

So, without further ado, if you too have the cravings for a nick-a-tron shell, and could use a step file to cnc or laser cut your own motherboard, here are the files.

Nickatron Motherboard Step files

I have added one file with my speaker grills in it, and one without (light version)

Please drop me a line of you use them.

cheers,
Micke

By | 2017-05-22T23:52:24+00:00 May 22nd, 2017|Building, Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters Proton Pack|Comments Off on Ghostbusters Project: Like a glove!

Ghostbusters Project: Metalworks

Things have been a bit slow on this project for some time. Main reason is that I’ve been waiting for some key parts that prevents me from going further.

Last week, One of those items arrived.

The all aluminium proton gun by CPU64, and it is a beauty!

For some reason, I just had to start assembling it, filed the opening for the bar graph just large enough for it to fit, added some switches and buttons and the Clippard valve..

I lacked a tap for 1/8 inch imperial holes, so I could not finish the top button that should be there.

Also, I have only marked the location for the side knob and the heatsink. Still need to figure out the position of the gun rack to go below.

Hat light extends a fair bit below the wing, need to check out ref pics for these if I should cut it shorter or not. Most likely not.

Right now, a lot of wires just shaking lose inside, connected to nothing. I also need to make sure that the wires are not in the way for the pop out mechanism Chris (CPU64) has made. Another thing I need to figure out is how to attach the acrylic tip to the metal tube inside. I am thinking E-6000 or possibly hot glue.

As soon as I get the tap, I can finish off 99% of my proton gun. There is still some work to do, but mainly mounting electronics and rumble pack. I might 3d print some holders for things inside, or use the wall where the heat sink should be placed for getting a few screws for mounting things inside the gun itself.

Another thing I have been waiting for just got picked up by a friend of mine and is being delivered on Monday: Behold! My laser cut motherboard, complete with speaker holes!

This one is a bit scary as it was drawn and designed purely in CAD and should fit my Nick-a-tron shell, in theory, but I won’t know until I’ve actually tried.

I chose not to add any holes for rivets at this point, for obvious reasons 😉

(I just love how the mother board is first: upside down, and on the wrong side up. It’s almost difficult to place it more wrong =)

By | 2017-05-20T23:56:00+00:00 May 20th, 2017|Building, Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters Proton Pack|Comments Off on Ghostbusters Project: Metalworks

Building R2-D2 is Stephen Fry proof thanks to caching by WP Super Cache